While 2012 marks the launch of our newly branded Mount Alexander College, the current Mt. Alexander Road location has been the home of a community school since 1858.
Our new name, Mount Alexander College, references the school’s long history in its current location, and its landmark position in the Flemington community.
2012 – Mount Alexander College
At the end of 2011, the school was renamed and rebranded Mount Alexander College. These activities are part of an umbrella strategy to reposition itself in the local community and demonstrate its commitment to being an exciting and vibrant school of choice.
1983 – 2011 Debney Park Secondary College
In 1996 the older sections of the school were demolished and replaced by the buildings that occupy the site today. To provide much needed recreational space for its increasing enrolment, the Department of Education purchased the site adjacent to the school from the Uniting Church in 1999.
1973 – 1983 Debney Park High School
Due to the changing needs of the local community, the Department of Education decided to change the school to coeducation. Debney Park High School was formed and boys were introduced into Form 1 in 1973. The last all girls class was Form 5 in 1976.
1966 – 1972 Flemington Girls’ High School
1931 – 1966 Flemington Girls’ School
Debney’s Paddock was developed by the Housing Commission for high rise housing in 1962.
1925 – 1931 Flemington School of Domestic Arts
The upgrading and rebuilding of Flemington S.S. No. 250 saw the school reopened as Flemington School of Domestic Arts which catered for girls from Forms 1-3 (Years 7-9). A uniform of navy tunic, white blouse, hat and gloves was the order of the day.
1873 – 1923 Flemington S.S. No. 250
On 31st March 1885 the school was closed due to increased competition from newer neighbouring schools that opened in Ascot Vale and Kensington. The school was reopened later the same year to relieve overcrowding at Kensington S.S.
In 1910 the electric tram route was built along Mt. Alexander Road, and the school was upgraded and rebuilt to combat the increased traffic noise.
In 1923 Flemington Primary School was opened at Travancore.
1862 – 1872 Flemington Common School
1858 – 1862 Flemington National School
Iron building owned by Hugh Glass and known locally as “the iron pot” because it was so hot during summer